Sunday 16 November 2008

Old(er) Man Out on the Town

On Saturday, Alette, Japhur and I celebrated my birthday. One year away from that nebulous period of life, the 40s. I've always had an idea of what the 30s and the 50s would be like, but the 40s have always seemed mysterious. If I'm going to have a mid-life crisis, I only have a year to prepare! But I digress ...

It was a beautiful Fall day yesterday, so like most Saturdays we went to the Edinburgh Farmers' Market. It's always a lot of fun, and a good walk for Japhur. Unfortunately, I felt a little under-the-weather after the Market, but that was quickly remedied with an afternoon nap. We then spent the latter half of the afternoon walking to Stockbridge and back along the Water of Leith (faithful readers will remember our previous experiences with the Water of Leith).

On our previous outings, we've discoverd the abundance of charity shops in Edinburgh. Given that we'll be returning home after two years, they're a great source of second-hand merchandise. The Bethany Shops are particularly good. It was at the Bethany Shop in Stockbridge where we discovered a nice birthday surprise: a Casio keyboard for only £35! I had been thinking of getting a keyboard while in Scotland, but didn't want to spend a lot of money. So this little treasure from 1988 was a nice surprise. It's simple, easy-to-use, and really all that I need.

Later, we went for dinner at The New Bell Restaurant. The food was extremely good, and provided several gluten-free options (as do many restaurants in Edinburgh). We finished off the evening by going to the 50th Anniversary Celebration of the Edinburgh University Folk (Song) Society. It was some good fun as well, and demonstrated to us again how Scottish celebrations are very inclusive.

No comments: