Monday 13 April 2009

Showtime (Again)

On Sunday night, I had my second musical performance. This was a solo guitar and singing performance, as a followup to my recent class on Guitar Accompaniment and Interpretation through the Scots Music Group. I performed the song Edward, which Alette and I first heard performed by Jeana Leslie and Siobhan Miller back in November. It's apparently an Irish version of a Scots ballad (though there seem to be many songs for which the heritage - either Irish or Scottish - is a little unclear).

This performance was at the equivalent of an 'open mic night', known as The Big Seat by the Fire, and took place at St George's West (a mere 10 minute walk from our flat, and shown in the picture above). There were about 20 performers in a very supportive environment. I'd like to return, perhaps next month with some Canadian songs. I'm leaning towards some Neil Young, though Alette is suggesting a Gordon Lightfoot. Any suggestions?

No comments: