Monday 26 January 2009

Choir Practice

Last week I joined a choir: The Practice Choir. It's something I've wanted to do since I started taking singing lessons (for the second time) last year when we were still in Ottawa. It's an amateur choir, and there was no audition (whew!). The first practice was a lot of fun, and relatively quick-paced. And while it's referred to as 'The Practice Choir', and an amateur choir, I discovered from one of the members that he's been in the choir since 1974.

There are probably close to 100 people in the choir, including 8 men who sing bass (what they refer to as '2nd bass') and baritone (referred to as '1st bass'). They have no tenors, and while I can sing in the tenor range, I think I'll wait to get a bit more practice before I volunteer to sing the tenor parts on my own.

Our first performance is on April 4th, where we'll be performing Messe Solennelle, St Cecilia's Mass by Gounod, and Te Deum, for the Empress Marie Therese, by Haydn.

No comments: