Sunday 14 September 2008

I J Mellis Cheesemongers

Had we not already had the recommendation from David and Janet, I like to think we would have been drawn in by the wonderful odour of ripe and pungent cheeses of I J Mellis Cheesemongers.



Today was our first of many visits where we purchased some Smoked Lancashire and Brie de Meaux Donge cheeses. The Lancashire is smoked over chicory when still young so that the cheese ages with this additional flavour. The Brie was described as "old fashioned, rustic and pungent." It certainly made my tongue tingle, but other than that the taste wasn't too overwhelming.

We also purchased some James Grieve apples and assorted chutneys including Tracklements' Farmhouse Pickle (that went extremely well with our pasties, thank you very much).

1 comment:

Darcy Quesnel said...

Never use the word "purchase" except as an example of a word not to use. Use the word "buy".

By the way, how many bagpipers have you seen so far? See my photostream for the number of people in kilts that I've seen in the past week. Hint: a lot.