Friday 3 July 2009

Scottish Whisky Experience

Our friends Kristen, Dave, James and Aidan are visiting us for a few weeks. For Dave's birthday a few months ago, we sent him a gift certificate for The Scottish Whisky Experience in Edinburgh. On Saturday, he and I went for the whisky tour, which included some sampling. I must admit that I'd fallen a little behind in my exploration of Scottish culture, so this was a good opportunity for some catching up.

It was a reasonably fun tour in which we were driven around a set of tracks in a train car that was meant to resemble a whisky cask. I didn't learn much that I hadn't known already regarding the making of Scottish whisky, but the trip did help in my approach to acquiring a taste for whisky. In Scotland, we learned that there are generally four areas in which single malt whisky is made, each with a distinctive taste (this is most certainly an overgeneralization - this site refers to eight regions - but it gives me a place to start). From the sampling, I discovered a preference for whisky from the Lowlands. And afterwards, I purchased a small bottle of Glenkinchie whisky. In continuing to sample this evening, I'm still reasonably impressed by this choice. However, I think I'll have to continue practice to improve my technique. Stay tuned for further updates.

1 comment:

Rosemary Goodwin said...

Pretty unique birthday present, Mike! He'll remember it forever. Hope all is going well at the seaside cottage ... any chance of you and David getting out for a few holes of golf?
Best regards, Rm