Sunday 15 March 2009

Innis & Gunn

Several faithful readers have recently voiced their displeasure at the lack of beer-related blog updates. Our prime purpose in Scotland is to report back on the diversity and quality of British beer, they say. While I won't enter a debate regarding such bold assertions, I would agree that we should be posting more on British beer. In a change from visiting local pubs, Alette, Japhur and I ventured to our local "Wine Store" on Saturday to peruse their barley wares.

Yesterday, I sampled a delightful beer from Innis & Gunn. They have a beer aged in oak barrels; somewhat of a marriage of beer brewing and whisky distilling. It had been recommended to me previously by my father-in-law but this was my first opportunity to sample it. It is indeed a fine, tasty beer and is apparently brewed in Edinburgh, though also available in Ottawa for the curious and thirsty reader.

However, it is not entirely clear where it is brewed in Edinburgh, or by whom. A Wikipedia search for Innis & Gunn redirects to Caledonian Brewery (which lists the Innis & Gunn Oak Aged Beer as one of its 'Active Beers'). But according to the Belhaven Brewery entry on Wikipedia, "Innis & Gunn [...] is brewed and bottled under contract by Belhaven for Innis and Gunn." After some further research, it turns out that this confusion is purposeful on behalf of the creators of Innis & Gunn; a father and son(s) team that interestingly helped to save the brewery that eventually became Caledonian. It is likely that Belhaven are the brewmasters of this fine beer though this intended secrecy does not bode well for my getting a tour that would include samples of Innis & Gunn. But I'll give it a go anyway. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Dave said...

Well done, Son!

L'il Ol' Davey

Unknown said...

I'm surprised it took you so long to taste it! I was also troubled that you never sampled it at my house before. I apologize for not having been more forceful.

I urge you to locate the brewery before our visit this summer!

- David

Mike Just said...

Pretty sure you hid it at the back of the fridge. At least that's my story.

Definitely need to take the tour. James will be itching for it after missing out on his regular keggers.